August 25, 2010

Don't just recycle, Upcycle!

Yep, Upcycle. Learn a new word everyday. No, I didn't invent it; read it in the new book Create Colorful Aluminum Jewelry by Helen Harle. Lots of interesting ideas; my kind of book:-)

No, these little flowers are not from the book. They are maille flowers; cute, aren't they? Want to learn how to make them? Check out the pages on The Ring Lord or MAIL. Don't have any scales on hand? Why not improvise? Gather some aluminum cans, pair of steel scissors, hole puncher, some rings and pliers (of course), and experiment to your heart's content!

Here's what I got. Not the best made maille flowers out there, but they are "green" none the less:-) I'm so addicted to these little guys, I got a whole box of soda from Costco, that's 24 cans! And I don't even drink soda!

OK, if you're going to try this out, please mind the sharp edges of cut aluminum. If you can't be bothered with making your own scales, order some from Blue Buddha or The Ring Lord, and have a blast!

No comments :

Post a Comment